Sunday, March 29, 2009

Health Care Utopia?

To start I think this topic on health care is a great topic for us to be learning about especially for me seeing as health care could be a problem in the future. It opened my eyes to what is available out there and soon enough like it or not as students we are all going to have to get our own insurance in the next coming year or two. Now if I was a clean slate the “Sicko” documentary would have driven me out of the United States the next day to begin a new life in Canada or France because of their Utopian health care system. When Moore shows people that have preexisting health problems like myself who get turned down by insurance companies in the U.S. and then just over seas he shows citizens getting treated for what they say is no cost to them at all. Well then why would we even think about living in this country?
With a Michael Moore documentary we can never take exactly what he says as the whole truth without doing some more research. What we don’t see is how the free health care in other countries take a huge hit on their taxes; which makes total sense as the “Beige Bomber” document tells us the money has to obviously come from somewhere. This document agrees with Moore in saying there is definitely a problem with our health care system and I agree too, but what in this world is perfect? Absolutely nothing. “People tend to use things more frequently when they are free” - (Beige Bomber). This is of course the truth I mean why not take advantage of something free, but this is also the problem; it is easy to see this would fill the hospitals fast and in comes the huge waiting list as mentioned in the “Dead Meat” documentary. For simple yet crucial things such as an eye surgery as referenced in the documentary isn't priority so therefore is set back on the list. I know I wouldn’t want to wait to get treated I would much rather pay the money for instant gratification, which seems to be the motto of people in the U.S. Another thing I find wrong with government controlled health care system that I found in the “Beige Bomber” is just that, government controlled. It would take away from my ability to decide what I need to be seen for instead they choose what is or isn't important, not my vision of a utopian health care system. For people that are on the fence about what is a better health care system I would leave them with this: Take your pick, spend money to get what treatment is needed today or keep your money and wait to see if you get the chance to get treated.
Also taking my future into account, I want to become a doctor and yes “Sicko” showed that one doctor had a pretty good life but nothing special; it seemed sketchy that they only showed one doctor. After years and years of schooling I want my job to have great reward by making more than enough to not have to worry about any expenses. I would definitely stay in the U.S. and deal with health insurance here than go to another country’s crooked utopia.

No comments: