Monday, November 10, 2008

Intelligent Design

We have to take the old with the new. After reading the articles, seeing “Flock of Dodos”, and discussing the topic of intelligent design and creationism I find it obvious to “teach the controversy”. I understand that teaching the controversy violates the separation of church and state because there is no way to get around taking about God just as we talked about in class. Not to mention an exception to this case is obviously out of the question, it is also obvious this topic will not just be dropped. Somewhere they are going to have to come to a compromise if anything wants to be accomplished and I see teaching the controversy or teaching both sides without a bias could be the painless way but also it could be the most effective to let the students decide on their own.
It is clear I agree with the professors from “Flock of Dodos” who say “teach the controversy”, and this is only me, but I can not stand the people who are so narrow minded that religion is the only true answer to everything such as some of the Christians interview in the video. I loved the example in “Inherit the Wind” when Drummond asks Brady if he ever thought it possible a day could be longer than 24 hours; I do not understand how some people can believe strictly one side without even giving the other a chance. If I’m not mistaken Allison said she was religious and she was able to see both sides instead of being narrow minded. At least she is willing to give it a chance that there could be something different than God creating it all in 7 days. I was glad she said that because it opened my eyes that I’m the same way and I can definitely see both point but something somewhere has to give.

No comments: